Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Containers of snuff and other stuff








Shroff bazaar and Danda bazaar are my favourite haunts in Bhuj. They are round the corner from Gangaram Guest House where I normally stay when I am there. These are old market places where you can buy anything from horse stirrups to mouse traps. A lot of local people from nearby villages do their shopping here.

Each time I am surprised by interesting finds that give a peek into the local culture. I found snuff boxes of steel in a little specialty shop that sells tobacco and related products. The boxes come in all kinds of shapes and sizes depending on your daily dose I guess! Some of them have two compartments; traditionally tobacco is mixed with lime paste(calcium oxide) which is carried in a separate compartment. Together they react to produce a narcotic substance. In India we also find elaborate pan (betel leaf ) cases for home and compact ones for travel.

In another place and time these could serve as wonderful packaging options.


No comments: