Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chowmahalla Palace

My friends Tanveen and Mishri were visiting Hyderabad for the first time and their trip would not have been complete without visiting the Charminar. I never tire of going to Charminar and Lad bazaar the bangle market in one of the by lanes. But this time i also got to go to the Chowmahalla Palace the official residence of the Nizams of Hyderabad.

I have to admit that i came back very impressed. Not so much by the architecture but by the way it has been restored, the displays and the maintainance not just of the built envoirnment but the gardens as well. Having recently visited the very badly kept palace of the Maharaja of Varanasi, this was a pleasant surprise.

Here are some of the things i loved at the palace shot with the camera on my phone. I could not shoot the beautiful textiles on display because of the low lighting conditions. I highly recommend taking out time to visit this slice from history on your next trip to Hyderabad.


Detail of the arabesque like(?) plaster work on the exterior


Darbar hall


Tutti fruti Belgian chandelier


Nizams' official stationery



Colourful tiled flooring



View from one of the corridors



5 comments:

tan 0 said...

hey, it was a real great day Aditi, thanks
& what pics, the Chowmahalla palace is the clouds is surreal!

the tutti-fruiti chandelier too

pooja ratnakar said...

hi aditi,

very refreshing blog ! Keep it up !

Apart from the rest, would love to source the gond range too, that you have done.

pooja

Kanika Bahl said...

Hi Aditi!
Of course I remember you from NID :)
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for the appreciation~

I love your bags..saw them at the Dastakar Nature Bazaar in Delhi last year.

It is great to connect!
Cheers
Kanika

Aditi Prakash said...

Hey Kanika. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for connecting me up with people.

Aditi

Aditi Prakash said...

Hey Kanika. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for connecting me up with people.

Aditi